Monday, August 24, 2020

Organic Container Gardening Produces the Healthiest Vegetable - Home Garden Plans Make it Happen!

Alongside the re-emergence of the desire to grow healthy food has come awareness that the earth's supply of mineral-derived energy is limited. Simplistic gardening with chemical fertilizers is becoming a thing of the past as the new generation of gardeners is learning to do without the petrochemicals on which gardening has become dependent, and to rely solely on nature's very own methods. People are rediscovering the value of waste organic matter - animal and vegetable. Methods of making compost and of keeping animals in the garden are again being treated as matters of crucial importance. oberon

The whole question of chemical versus organic container gardening is still, at the present time, a major controversy. In my view the best proof is in the eating. My own garden is far from perfect. I sow more than I can reap, like most serious gardeners, and end up with too many weeds, not enough time to hoe them, and occasionally crops that I am ashamed of. But on the whole my garden is lush and 'fertile, and I grow a great deal of produce in it. Orthodox gardeners, who use chemicals on their gardens, come and look at my crops sometimes and refuse to believe that I put no inorganic fertilizer on them. But I don't: not an ounce of artificial nitrogen has gone on my land for thirteen years now. And even when the weeds do overwhelm me, I am often surprised that there seems to be fertility enough for them and my crops. This year my onions, carrots and parsnips, which were all inter planted with each other, were neglected and overrun with weeds. And yet out of the mess, I have dug large and beautiful carrots and parsnips, and the onions, all hanging in strings now, are twice as big as my fist, luscious and firm. namdhari seeds

I am not advocating the cultivation of weeds. But rather than douse them with some "selective weed spray" (which is only selective up to a point of course - if a chemical damages one form of life you can be sure that it will do at least some damage to 'many other forms of life), I would rather have a few weeds and maybe a slightly smaller crop. I am surprised when I read the advice of many gardening writers that their readers should apply this or that amount of "complete fertilizer", or of some proprietary high-nitrogen chemical, or that the soil should be doused with herbicides, pesticides, or fungicides ("tide" means kill and no gardener should forget that fact). Applied nitrates definitely harm the soil in the long term, although it must be admitted that they have a dramatic effect on the growth of crops in soil that is already hooked on them - that is to say soil which therefore has no nitrogen capacity of its own. nativo fungicide

However, the main point that needs to be made is that some of the best garden - and farm - crops in the world are grown without any of these expensive and dangerous aids at all. The highest yield possible with any crop can be, and very often is, achieved without chemicals. But here there is a trap that many a would-be organic container gardener has fallen into. "I am 'organic'; I don't put any artificial fertilizers on my land", they say. But neither do they put anything else! Nothing will come out of nothing, and if you continue to take crops out of your soil and put nothing back you will eventually grow - well, next to nothing. bayer pesticides

If you see a garden, which is held to be organic, filled with nothing but miserable insect-eaten crops surrounded by weeds, it is probable that you have encountered this negative approach. Some advocates of organic container gardening also put forward eccentric notions like planting crops according to the phases of the moon, sprinkling tiny amounts of obscure substances on the soil, and so on. Plant seeds will germinate and plants will grow when temperature, humidity, and nutrients are right for them. bayer products

No comments:

Post a Comment